- 1 cup sliced onions
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 lb (500g) round steak, cut in small pieces
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 1/2 cups boiling water
- 2 cups diced raw potatoes
- (Egg Crust)
- 1 cup sifted flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
Takes . Serves 4-6.
This comes from the Farm Journal's Complete Pie Cookbook (1965).
- Fry onions slowly in melted shortening, until yellow; remove from fat
- Roll meat in mixture of flour, spices, and seasonings. (Or shake all together in paper bag.) Brown in hot fat.
- Add water; cover and simmer until meat is tender, about 45 mintues.
- Add potatoes and cook 10 minutes longer. Pour into 8" greased casserole. Place cooked onions on top and cover with Egg Crust.
- Mix flour and salt. Add half of shortening and cut in until fine as meal. Add remaining shortening and cut until particles are size of large peas.
- Add egg, mixing thoroughly into a dough. Roll out slightly larger than top of casserole. Make dime-size openings for steam to escape and fit do over top of casserole; fold under pastry edge and flute.
- Bake in very hot oven (450F/230C.) 30 minutes. Makes 4-6 servings